Sixteen Men

My father is a poet.  He’s also a man I respect greatly and an interesting soul.  I was raised in a strict Irish/Italian Catholic AND military household.  Although, for all of our rules, it was my father who first introduced me to meditation when I was a teenager, and when he saw that I wasn’t drinking the Kool-Aid of the church, he and my mother suggested I read up on different religions as to explore all options.  They are good people and I am blessed.

He sent this poem to me yesterday

Sixteen Men
by Thomas

Sixteen men
Loved sixteen women
On sixteen nights in June

Fifteen of them
Went off to war
One drummed a different tune

Fourteen women
Cried lonely tears
Only thirteen slept that night

Twelve bullets
Whistled through the air
Eleven bodies stopped the flight

Ten men fell

Two soldiers fell
For the last time
One drummed a different tune

Advertisements

13 thoughts on “Sixteen Men

1. gabrielablandy September 7, 2012 / 12:04 pm

Oh, that dummer who had his different tune! This popped up when I was online so I feel like I’m reading hot off the press. Just what I needed – something interesting to think about. Thank you.

• onestreetshy September 7, 2012 / 12:10 pm

I know! Of course, I, as an over thinker, wonder if that drummer is my father…

2. gabrielablandy September 7, 2012 / 12:19 pm

Wait a minute! I had to go back – I had completely missed the first line. I thought that your father just gave you the poem – I didn’t realise that he was a poet!! Hmmm, interesting – you think the drummer is your father. For me – as an over thinking – I’d be worrying about whether or not I was like that drummer. 🙂

• onestreetshy September 7, 2012 / 12:21 pm

Yes, he’s the poet. I have no idea if he considered himself the drummer, but it’s interesting to think about. However I’d guess he’d say, “na, I just thought it sounded good.” hahahah

• gabrielablandy September 7, 2012 / 12:40 pm

Well, that would still be interesting – I mean, maybe even intimidating, saying that something really beautiful and thought provoking can be written just because someone thought it sounded good! I guess he’s got a good ear 🙂

• onestreetshy September 7, 2012 / 1:00 pm

maybe so. I’ll have to pick his brain and see what the underlying message is….

3. occultoantonio September 7, 2012 / 12:23 pm

Stunning. This poem is beautiful, clever and decidedly anti-war, anti-Christian fundamentalism.

• onestreetshy September 7, 2012 / 12:26 pm

I agree, and if you knew my father, you’d be shaking your head. He is quite the contrary man 🙂

And yes, he’s pretty clever. It’s almost a riddle….

4. Wendell A. Brown September 7, 2012 / 4:08 pm

Beautiful poem! It teases the mind! Tell Dad, thanks for sharing!